Thursday, March 28, 2013

Natural birth with Laura

Wednesday the 13th I was 38 1/2 weeks pregnant and went into labor. I had been having contractions all day and at about 8:00pm they became very regular and strong. I labored at home until my husband, Logan, got off work at 12:30am. Once he got home we spent some time together and then headed to the hospital. His sister came over and stayed with the kids. At the hospital I progressed to a 3 and then all of the sudden my labor stopped. We went home early Thursday morning a little disappointed and very tired.

Over the next few days I tried to relax and kick start my labor as best I could. I took a pretty picture of myself and tired to enjoy the end of my pregnancy. By Monday my contractions started again but much in the same manner. They were every 10 or 15 minutes through out the day and I just tired to ignore them not wanting to get my hopes up. After dinner they became every 5 minutes but I was still able to do the dishes and clean the house. I started to watch some TV but they were getting stronger so I hoped in the shower. By 9pm they were strong enough that I could no longer ignore them and couldn't concentrate on the show I was watching.

I didn't want to have another false alarm so instead of calling Logan to come home from work I called my Mom and asked her to take me to the hospital. She was giving my Dad a hair cut when I called and said she would finish up real fast then he would hop in the shower and they would head over. About an hour later (10:30pm) she and my Daddy arrived at my house. (After I called her twice to ask them to hurry) My Dad ran inside to watch our kids and I ran out to the car. I only had about 3 or 4 contractions in the car (a 30 minute drive), which I was grateful for since sitting during them was super uncomfortable but it worried me that since they were getting far apart we wouldn't be admitted.

When we got to the hospital the maternity floor was super busy so we had to wait in the ER for about 20 minutes. Once we finally made it to the OB Triage they had to monitor fetal heart tones and contractions for 20 minutes before I could be admitted. I was checked and told I was 3. Which I had been about for 1 week! It was disappointing and I was told that if I didn't progress in the next hour I would be sent home. I was able to sit for about 10 minutes before I decided I couldn't sit any longer. The nurse and my midwife kept telling me that I needed to sit down so they could get their records but it was just not possible. Even though I had not been admitted yet I called my husband and told him I needed him to come because I knew it was happening and I needed him there. I don't remember this happening but my Mom said Laura, my midwife, checked me again and I was a 4 so they would get a room ready. I only remember telling her that even if she didn't admit it they would have to carry me out because there was no way I could walk.

From the time it took him to get off work and to the hospital I was admitted and had my IV started for my antibiotics (because I was positive for strep B). When my nurse was getting ready to start my IV she asked me to sit down, which I knew I couldn't do so I made her do it while I was standing. I later learned this was the first time she did that and she was super nervous I was going to pass out. Haha silly nurse! Logan got there at about 12:30 am and I was SOOO happy to see him. My other 2 labors my contractions had all been in my back but this time they were all in my front. I was unprepared for this and in my opionion they were worse! I begged the nurse to get the tub (because apparently waiting one more second was to long for me!) and got in it before it was even ready.

With the others I didn't like the tub because I couldn't get into the right position because of the back labor but this time it felt soooooo good. The WONDERFUL Laura repeated birthing affirmations the entire time and I was so grateful for that. I felt like a puppet and anything she told me to do I did. 

"Now relax your shoulders." Shoulder got limp. 
"Now relax your stomach." slow breath out. 
"Now relax your mind." Totally blank mind.

Her sweet soft voice was so peaceful and comforting. The warm water on my back felt amazing and having my wonderful husband and my Mother there was perfect! After what seemed like a very long time for me I told Laura (pictured below) I wanted her to check me. Since I was in the tub she couldn't see what she was doing and could only feel blindly. She felt around for a while and then said, "I can't seem to find your cervix" I thought that was REALLY strange and wondered if that was bad, but quickly after she said that she proclaimed in a very surprised voice "Oh my! Its because your a 9!" 

Music to my ears! After the next contraction I got out of the tub, asked her to break my water and was ready to push! I pushed on my hands and knees for a while, then switched to my back and used the mirror to help guide me. Baby Rutledge Logan was born at 1:14am.

After he was born and the nurse announced that his birth time was 1:14 am I burst into tears and thanked Laura for not sending me home. I had no clue that it had only been 1 hour and 45 minutes since she had said they might send me home. If I had gone home I probably would have had the baby on the freeway! 
I went from a 3 to baby in 1 hour and 45 minutes!! 
This is probably the biggest reason my husband says it was like the devil came out of me. I was very in control with my last labor, which was also all natural. I felt calm through it and was able to adjust to the pain as it came. 

This time I felt like my body was out of control and there was nothing I could do except listen to my midwife tell me to relax. I was extremely demanding with this labor and kept telling everyone what to do. I begged my midwife to not stop talking and at one point during the pushing I yelled at my husband to get me ice, which I actually feel really bad about. He said he didn't know I had a cup of ice and he thought I meant I wanted him to leave the room to go get some. Which of course I didn't, I would have been more mad if he had left, he knew that so instead he just held my hand. After I told him there was ice in my cup he handed it to me and I dumped a whole handful on my face and neck. 

It still scares me how fast it all happened and makes me worried for the next child. During the admitting process one of the questions they asked me was if I had a history of rapid progression. I said no, but now I know that next time I will have to say yes! 

The best thing about doing it natural in my opinion is the recovery. I don't even really feel like I was in labor, I just feel totally normal again! About 30 minutes after Rutledge was born he was getting weighed and examined across the room and I got up and walked over to watch. The babies nurse didn't see me get up and was shocked when she looked back and realized I was standing by her. After I watched for a few minutes (and the nursing asking me a million times if I needed to sit because she didn't want me passing out) I went to the bathroom. After that I went back to the bed to rest. When my nurse came back in the room she asked me if I wanted to get up to pee but I told her I already had. She was SHOCKED and that's when she told me I was unlike any other patient she had every had. 

"You make me do your IV standing!"
 "You go to the bathroom by yourself!"
"What am I going to do with you!"

I felt like saying to her, "Haha I'm sorry but I didn't realize that that was uncommon. I just had a baby naturally woman, I can handle anything!"Or maybe I did say it, I'm not sure.

Rutledge weighed 6 pounds 12 ounces and was 18 3/4 inches long with a head circumference of 13 inches. He was my smallest baby, but his head was the same as my daughters.

This photo was taken after I went to the bathroom and got dressed again. Feeling sooo happy that labor was over and that I was holding my baby in my arms and not in my tummy!

Right after his bath

Thank you soo much Laura! I truly believe that if it was not for you telling me to relax I would have had a mental break down. 
I am so grateful for all the midwives at VWFW!

Proud Mom: Clarissa

No comments: